My mom has been making a homemade taco salad since I was alive. I realized a few years ago that she had been making it for so long that some family members were excited to get a taste of it at a summer party for the first time in years (possibly decades). This is a super simple recipe that yields lots of leftovers for a family of three eaters (obviously the Snorting Warthog doesn’t eat regular food yet). Obviously this is excellent for a summer potluck or family gathering.
In the largest bowl you can find, combine the following:
- 1 pound of ground beef, cooked and drained (I add this at the end, so it has time to cool off a little)
- 1 bottle of French dressing (the more orange in color, the better… and do not use “Lite”)
- 1 bottle of Ortega mild Taco Sauce
- 1/2 package of Mexican shredded cheese
- 1 package of halved cherry tomatoes, or 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of halved black olives (you can put this on the side, as TBF, and many others despise olives)
- 2 – 3 romaine hearts chopped (my mom uses 2 head of iceberg lettuce, but I find that the romaine hearts are more nutrient dense and this doesn’t make a difference in taste)
- 1/2 cup of diced onion (on the side for those that do not care for raw onions)
- 1 crunched up regular-sized package of taco Doritos
Toss and Serve!
This even tastes great after being refrigerated as leftovers the following day.