This amazing Lenten stew is outrageously delicious (assuming you like mushrooms and dishes with a little kick).
This recipe is found on page 163 of Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s cookbook entitled, “Eat to Live Cookbook.” This is a cookbook that compliments his main informational book called “Eat to Live,” which is an awesome guide to help those that are wanting to battling their chronic disease through managing what they eat. Additionally, the book is a great resource in learning about the processes of how our processed foods are killing us with every bite. There are a ton of vegetarian, but mostly vegan, delicious recipes in this cookbook.
- 1 large onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (I used 1 teaspoon dried)
- no-salt seasoning blend, adjusted to taste or 2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman’s MatoZest (I used Mrs. Dash no-salt seasoning)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (no wonder why mine had a good kick! I used 1/4 teaspoon–still amazing)
- 1 pound portabello mushrooms, sliced 3/8-inch thick (whatever with the thickness–just slice up the mushroom)–also I spooned out the black gunk and stem on the bottom side and then cleaned them
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium or no-salt-added mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (aka sherry wine in the vinegar section—I couldn’t figure this out when I went to the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or tarragon, chopped (I used parsley because I couldn’t figure out what else I would use tarragon for)
- Water-saute the onion, bell pepper and rosemary, stirring occasionally until tender about 8 minutes. Season with the no-salt seasoning until blend and add red pepper flakes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and juicy about five minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and sherry vinegar.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley or tarragon.
Per Serving: Calories: 124; Protein: 9g; Carbohydrates: 17 g; Total Fat: 1.7 g; Saturated Fat: 0.1g; Sodium: 133 mg; Fiber: 4g; Beta-carotene: 1,289 ug; Vitamin C: 53 mg; Iron: 2.2 mg; Folate: 60 ug; Magnesium: 36 mg; Zinc: 1.4 mg; Selenium: 22.2 ug