As anyone who knows me intimately, knows that I enjoy organizing EVERYTHING that I get my hands on. Actually since staying at home with the Honey Badger, I have been invited to organize my sister’s bedroom closet and my mom’s linen closet. Sounds weird but I enjoy doing stuff like that.
Well, this is no different for my cooking recipes! While going through my recipes last week, I came upon this Hillshire Farm recipe that I had ripped out of a magazine and made for dinner. Oh, my gosh—it came out just like the picture, which almost never happens!
Serving Size: 4-6
Total time: 20 minutes (if you have everything pre-cut up, which I did cause everything moved super fast once you start the cooking process).
- 1 package Hillshire Farm smoked sausage, sliced (you could probably use whatever, but I used this exact product)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 package frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water (I had vegetable broth opened in fridge, so I used that and it still tasted amazing)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I think I used the lite)
Heat olive oil and garlic in skillet, stir in smoked sausage slices and cook until browned. Add pepper, onion, broccoli, broth and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed. In the meantime, prepare rice according to package instructions. Stir rice into the skillet, sprinkle with cheese and serve.
TBF liked it but not as much as I did. He said it needed a little more kick…so if you are a little more on the spicy side with your food tastes, you can always use your favorite seasoning to give it a little more of a kick!